Use And Processing of Information
Sharing of Information
Information For Authorized Agent
How We Protect Personal Information
Types Of Information We Collect
The following provides examples of the type of information that we collect from you and how we use that information.
|Context||Types of Data||Primary Purpose for Collection and Use of Data|
|Account Registration||We collect your name and contact information when an account is created. We also collect information relating to the actions that you perform while logged into your account.||We use this information to provide account related functionalities to our users. Accounts can be used for easy policy administration and to save your preferences and transaction/policy history.|
|Applicant/Client/Claimant Information||We may collect the name, contact information, payment information, policy information (e.g., policy number, policy type, coverage(s) and limit(s)) and underwriting, exposure or claims-related data of insurance applicants, agents, brokers, clients and their employees with whom we may interact.||We use this information to develop and provide clients with insurance products and services and to communicate with them concerning normal business administration such as policy servicing, billing, and claims administration.|
|Demographic Information||We may collect personal information, such as your age, location, and gender.||We may use this information to comply with applicable laws, to underwrite your policy and/or to administer claims.|
|Distance Information||When you use our App we collect your location from the GPS, Wi-Fi, and/or cellular technology in your device to determine your location.||We use this information in the claims administration process to understand our users and provide tailored services, and to engage in underwriting activities.|
|Email Interconnectivity||If you receive email from us, we may use certain tools to capture data related to when you open our message for event management purposes or click on any links or banners it contains.||We use this information to understand how you interact with our communications to you.|
|Mailing List||When you sign up for one of our mailings lists, we collect your email address or postal address.||We share information about our products and services with individuals that consent to receive such information.|
|Mobile Devices||We collect information from your mobile device such as unique identifying information broadcast from your device when visiting our website.||We use this information to identify unique visitors and understand how users interact with us on their mobile devices.|
|Partner Promotion||We may collect information that you provide as part of a co-branded promotion with another company.||We use this information to fulfill our promotions.|
|Website interactions||We use technology to monitor how you interact with our website. This may include which links you click on, or information that you type into our online forms. This may also include information about your device or browser.||We use this information to understand how you interact with our website to improve it and to understand your preferences and interests. We may also use your data to detect and prevent fraud.|
|Web logs||We collect information, including your browser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to a computer when the Internet is used), domain name, click-activity, referring website, and/or a date/time stamp for visitors.||We use this information to monitor our networks and the visitors to our websites. Among other things, it helps us understand which of our products or services is the most popular.|
In addition to the information that we collect from you directly, we may also receive information about you from other sources, including without limitation third parties, business partners, our affiliates, credit reporting bureaus, social media outlets or publicly available sources.
Use And Processing of Information
In addition to the purposes and uses described above, we use information in the following ways (among others):
- To identify you when you visit our websites.
- To provide and improve insurance products or services, including application underwriting and claims administration.
- To process and collect premium, deductible, and other payments owed to us.
- To comply with applicable laws and regulatory obligations and to detect or prevent fraud.
- To respond to inquiries related to support, employment opportunities, or other requests.
- To send marketing and promotional materials, including information relating to our products, services, or promotions or those of a third party.
- For internal administrative purposes, as well as to manage our relationships.
Although the sections above describe our primary purpose in collecting and using your information, in many situations we have more than one purpose. For example, if you purchase an insurance policy through us, we may collect and use your information to provide our insurance services to you, but we may also collect and use your information as we have an interest in maintaining your information after your transaction is complete so that we can quickly and easily respond to any questions about your policy. As a result, our collection and use of your information is based in different contexts, our need to perform a contract, our obligations under law, and/or our interest in conducting our business.
Sharing Of Information
In addition to the specific situations discussed elsewhere in this policy, we disclose information in the following situations:
- Affiliates and Acquisitions. We may share information with our corporate affiliates (e.g., parent company, sister companies, subsidiaries, or other companies under common control). If another company acquires, or plans to acquire, our company, business, or our assets, we may also share information with that company, including at the negotiation stage.
- Other Disclosures with Your Consent. We may ask if you would like us to share your information with other unaffiliated third parties who are not described elsewhere in this policy.
- Other Disclosures without Your Consent. We may disclose information in response to subpoenas, warrants, or court orders, or in connection with any legal process, or to comply with relevant laws or regulatory obligations. We may also share your information in order to establish or exercise our rights, to defend against a legal claim, to detect, investigate, prevent, or act regarding possible illegal activities, suspected fraud, safety of person or property, or a violation of our policies, or for the provision of services by a third-party intermediary.
- Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers. Among other things service providers may help us to administer our website, conduct surveys, provide technical support, process payments, and assist in the administration of claims.
- Sharing with Affiliates and Non-Affiliates for Marketing and Other Purposes. We may share your information with affiliates and non-affiliates for marketing and other purposes. Under certain circumstances, you may opt-out of such sharing with respect to certain data you have provided to us. Please refer to the individual Privacy Notice you may have received from us (including, if applicable, the insurance broker with whom you do business) for information relating to the sharing of your personal information.
You may be entitled to certain choices regarding your personal information. As applicable, please contact us by one of the methods listed below under "Contact Information" and we will assist you with your request as soon as possible. Please note that in order to exercise these rights, we may have to verify your identity to make sure you are exercising rights related to personal information belonging to you. Depending on your request, we may request certain information from you in order to verify your identity and residency using personal information already provided by you, prior to granting any access request, including a request for access or deletion of data. Please note, if you elect to exercise one of your choices listed below, you will not receive discriminatory treatment by us for exercising your privacy rights that are conferred upon you by law. You may be able to make the following choices regarding your personal information:
- Access To Your Personal Information. You may request access to your personal information by contacting us as described below. If required by law, upon request, we will grant you reasonable access to the personal information that we have about you. Note that California residents may be entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of personal information (if any) we share with third parties or affiliates for direct marketing.
- Deletion Of Your Personal Information. You may request that we delete your personal information by contacting us as described below. If required by law we will grant a request to delete information, but you should note that in many situations we must keep your personal information to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce our agreements, or for another one of our business purposes.
- Online Tracking. We do not currently recognize automated browser signals regarding tracking mechanisms, which may include "Do Not Track" instructions.
- Promotional Emails. You may choose to provide us with your email address for the purpose of allowing us to send free newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials to you, as well as targeted offers from third parties. You can stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions in e-mails that you receive. If you decide not to receive promotional emails, we may still send you service-related communications.
Please address written requests and questions about your rights to email@example.com or call us at 1-833-417-0654.
Note that, as required by law, we will require you to prove your identity. We may conduct an identity verification by phone call or email. Depending on your request, we will ask for information such as your name, email address, or the last time you contacted us. In some cases, we may ask you to provide a signed declaration or a copy of a photo ID confirming your identity. Following a request, we will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you in our files.
You may designate an authorized agent to submit requests to exercise certain privacy rights on your behalf. We will require verification that you provided the authorized agent permission to make a request on your behalf. You must provide us with a copy of the signed permission you have given to the authorized agent to submit the request on your behalf and verify your own identity directly with us.
Information for Authorized Agents
If you are an authorized agent submitting a request on behalf of an individual, you must attach a copy of the following information to the request:
- A completed Authorized Agent Designation Form indicating that you have authorization to act on the consumer's behalf.
- If you are a business, proof that you are registered with the Secretary of State to conduct business in California.
If we do not receive both pieces of information, the request will be denied.
How We Protect Personal Information
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is fully secure. While we use reasonable efforts to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. If we are required by law to inform you of a breach of your personal information we may notify you electronically, in writing, or by telephone, if permitted to do so by law.
Some of our websites permit you to create an account. When you do you will be prompted to create a password. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password, and you are responsible for any access to or use of your account by someone else that has obtained your password, whether such access or use has been authorized by you. You should notify us of any unauthorized use of your password or account by using one of the methods listed below under "Contact Information."
The following additional information relates to our privacy practices:
- Third Party Applications/Websites. We have no control over the privacy practices of websites or applications that we do not own.
- Children. We do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13 years. Our products, services, and websites are not intended for use by minors. We do not sell personal information of minors under 16 years of age without affirmative authorization.
If you have any questions, comments, or complaints concerning our privacy practices please contact us by one of the methods provided below. We will attempt to respond to your requests and to provide you with additional privacy-related information.
James River Group, Inc.
Effective Date: June 30, 2020